Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Chickpea & Vegetable Coconut Curry Soup


I absolutely LOVE Thai coconut soup.  And I have made it before many times, but now that I am heading the whole food road, I needed to come up with a version that was equally satisfying.  I think my first try was a success!  

I was at Trader Joes recently and picked up some of their Miso Ginger Broth, thinking it would be a great base for any Vegetarian soup.   Especially since many "veggie broths" leave much to be desired with flavor.   I was a little nervous to just throw everything in, but it has always worked for me in the past, so why not?  :-)  I need to take a picture and add that as well, but in the meantime here is the recipe.

Chickpea & Vegetable Coconut Curry Soup
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tbsp shredded fresh ginger
  • 3 Tbsp Lime juice
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp mild yellow curry paste (MUST HAVE- but make sure its meat free)*
  • 4 cups Trader Joes Miso Ginger Broth*  (or use vegetable stock and add Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander 1/4 Tsp ea.)      (Only use the herbs if not using Miso base)
  • 1 can organic coconut milk
  • 1 Bunch Cilantro
  • 3 Green Onions
  • 1 Fresh slicer Tomato
  • 3 Drops Youngevity Lemongrass Essential Oil   (or if you have fresh lemongrass you can chop it into the soup)

Serve over Brown or White Rice w/ Chopped Cilantro and onions on top, and chunks of Fresh Tomato ( put in the soup)

Instructions

  1. Salute Garlic and carrots in a bit of water or Vegetable broth, Cook until garlic becomes translucent
  2. Add all but the last 4 ingredients
  3. Turn heat up to medium-high. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add more liquid as needed.
  4. Add 1 can of coconut milk. Bring back to a simmer for another 5 minutes.
  5. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
You could add potatoes, cauliflower, or any vegetables you want really and "beef" up this soup, lol. (Thats kind of a funny expression in this new perspective.

*I'm not 100% positive that the Miso Ginger Broth is Vegan, but there are no ingredients I can see that are in conflict.  Same w/ the Curry Paste

No comments:

Post a Comment